6 Remedies to Soothe Sore Throats
As a Vocal Empowerment Coach and performer, I’ve felt and seen it all!
As it gets cold outside the heat goes up, the air gets dry, and commercials for cold medicine hog the airwaves. ‘tis the season for sore throats to emerge… but note: we have more health power than we often remember!
If your throat tickles, you may be one to freak out, thinking: “Am I sick!?”
If so, I understand.
But in that moment, take a deep breath.
Here are vocal coach tested natural tips for strong throats and immune systems, remedies for sore throats, and an extra secret tip that only ENT’s care to mention about throat lozenges.
5 Tips for Strong Throats + Immune Systems:
- As the season turns darker and colder, even if we live in the tropics, our bodies need more rest. We can still experience great productivity and full days, but when the body calls for rest, listen to him/her.
- Caffeine dries out the throat. If you’re a caffeine drinker, also drink lots of water to stay hydrated. See what kind of ‘high’ you can get from fruit, teas, and lemon water instead of coffee, which shocks the system, spiking cortisol levels and fatiguing the adrenal glands.
- Keep hydrated. Growing bodies need abundant amounts of filtered water – ideally drink 8-12 glasses/day. We are blessed to have it, so let’s DRINK it!
- Exercise! Run, walk, swim, dance (my favorite), and stretch. An exercised body – one that moves and sweats regularly – has a healthier immune system because the lymph (the fluid in which our cells live and die) is moving/circulating.
- You’re gonna love me for this (not), but I know you’ve heard it before: Avoid cane sugar. Cane sugar increases inflammation, feeds infection, builds mucus, and really doesn’t do much good. So sure, have that piece of chocolate cake now and then, but if you’re going to indulge in a whole bag of something (happens to the best of us!), consider a healthier option. And do your best to get off processed foods.
6 Soothing Remedies for a sore throat:
- A sore throat doesn’t automatically mean you have a cold. Energetically, sometimes our throats get ‘locked up’ and feel sore or tense. This can happen when we’re not fully expressed, or when we’re nervous/anxious. Is there something you haven’t said to someone that you need to say? Are you being honest with yourself? Check in, get honest, and express yourself. This may soothe your throat.
- 3 Soothing teas for a sore throat:
-Ginger Tea –chopped up ginger in hot water or Yogi Ginger Tea
-Licorice Tea – Licorice root in hot water or Yogi Licorice Tea
-Throat Coat – Slippery elm tea by Traditional Medicinals
- Salt Water: Gargle with 8 oz. warm water, with 1 teaspoon of salt, a 3-5x/day.
- My favorite –spicy– Health Remedy Drink: To fight off irritants: 1 warm cup of water, 1 tbsp. of raw apple cider vinegar, squeeze of lemon, tiny pinch of cayenne pepper, 1 tbsp. raw honey (or a drop of stevia if you’re avoiding sugars). Sip small amounts throughout day. Do not drink a large amount on an empty stomach.
- Don’t get paranoid. Like everything else, this too shall pass. Avoid sugar and dairy when under the weather. Drink plenty of H2O, vegetable broths, vegetable juices, herbal teas, get rest, and get joy. Watch movies that make you laugh. Smile, even amidst illness. Your body is amazing and will heal quickly as you (and your worry) get out of the way!
- Suck on a raw clove of garlic. I know, not pleasant, but effective for fighting infection and stimulating the healing of the throat. Do not swallow raw garlic on an empty stomach.
Extra Tip if you are hoarse:
Lozenges are great for soothing pain. But if you are hoarse already, DO NOT pop a lozenge and then exert your voice by singing or speaking loudly. This can do more damage than good, as you cannot feel the pain if it’s numb, and pain is there to tell you to ‘slow down’ and for some time, be quiet as the vocal chords rest and heal.These are just some tips; many more exist. As each body is different, go with what feels the best to you.
Tell me below, what are your favorite soothing remedies…
you may help someone out by sharing!
FEEL GOOD, LOVES!